Teach wheelchair skills
Back Up wheelchair skills training sessions are delivered at all of the spinal cord injury centres in the UK, general hospitals and on our residential courses.
Sessions are led by spinal cord injured trainers and cover anything from pushing technique and back-wheel balance to ascending and descending stairs. We run sessions for people using both manual and powered wheelchairs.
David has delivered over 40 wheelchair skills sessions across the country and has also given presentations at spinal cord injury centres to newly injured patients.
“Being a wheelchair skills trainer gets me all over the country and seeing the difference in the participants at the end of the session gives me a sense of achievement and makes me feel that the journey was worth while. It shows you what is still possible.”
What does it involve?
- Building confidence and independence by teaching wheelchair skills to people with spinal cord injury
- Ensuring all participants are included, tailoring the training to individuals’ needs
- This role would suit a good communicator with experience of living with spinal cord injury, who has good wheelchair skills appropriate to their level of injury
What we offer:
- The opportunity for you to become a qualified wheelchair skills trainer at an initial 3 day ‘train the trainer’ course and annual meeting
- Support, guidance and feedback from experienced trainers and outreach and support staff
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up
- The chance to be part of a team of 40 talented wheelchair skills trainers