Become a spinal cord injury mentor or family mentor
Spinal cord injured mentor training weekend
Date: 2 Feb – 4 Feb 2024
Application deadline: 15 Jan 2024
Family mentor training weekend
Date: 12 Jan – 14 Jan 2024
Application deadline: 12 Dec 2023
We’re looking for spinal cord injury mentors and family mentors to provide vital support for people affected by spinal cord injury.
What does being a spinal cord injury mentor or family mentor with Back Up involve?
- Providing telephone support of up to ten sessions
- An opportunity to enable people affected by spinal cord injury to work through their challenges using personal experience, problem-solving techniques and goal setting
- Having experience of spinal cord injury, being a good listener, having compassion and being non-judgemental
What support and training does a mentor receive?
- Initial weekend of mentor training run by Back Up staff and clinical psychologists
- Development days both in person and online
- Support, guidance and feedback from mentoring staff, clinical psychologists and experienced mentors
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up
- Membership of our Back Up volunteer base, which includes invitation to thank you events and more
For more information please read through our mentor role description and FAQs below.
“Having benefited from Back Up, I wanted to give something back and help people come to terms with their new situation. The mentoring service was an obvious place to start and it is hugely satisfying, helping people when they need it most.”
Dave, 40, partner mentor
Want to become a mentor?
Please fill out this application form and one of the team will shortly be in touch. If you need a paper form please do get in touch with us.
Alternatively you can fill in this form to register your interest if you’d like to learn more.