Monday 4 Jun - Friday 8 Jun
Location: Exmoor 5 day
”This course enabled me to learn my capabilities and has brought me back to life. It’s the best thing I have done since my injury – I hadn’t belly laughed since my accident but I did on this course. I feel more comfortable with myself and that’s great.”
Donna (47), Lake District participant
Do you have a love of the outdoors? Have you always wanted to try abseiling or canoeing? Then this may be the course for you.
All of our residential activity courses are packed full of exciting indoor and outdoor pursuits that enhance confidence and develop practical skills for daily life. The duration of the course will be spent at the Calvert Trust Centre, whose expert instructors adapt a whole range of outdoor activities so that you can participate as independently as possible, whatever your level of injury. You will also have the chance to share experiences and learn from other people with a spinal cord injury.
Course content at both centres includes:
- Rock and rope activities such as climbing and abseiling
- Water activities such as kayaking, canoeing and sailing
- Other activities such as archery, blow darts, and hand cycling
- Wheelchair skills training
- A coastal push in Exmoor or a push up a hill in the Lake District
- The Lake District courses include one night’s camping towards the end of the course (on a 7 day course).
- The Exmoor courses sometimes include horse riding or carriage driving.
In the evenings, you might have the opportunity to go swimming at one of the centre’s accessible swimming pools, put your newly learned wheelchair skills into practice, or just sit and relax in the lounge and share experiences of the day with fellow group members.