Help out as a buddy on courses
“Working with the participants was inspirational. Their enthusiasm & courage was phenomenal, it was fantastic to share in their achievements.”
Back Up have a full range of courses to help build confidence and independence, allowing both volunteers and spinal cord injured participants to see how much is possible. Our courses provide the opportunity for people with a spinal cord injury to develop new skills, talk to people in a similar situation and challenge themselves in a safe environment. Our buddies are there to assist, encourage, listen to and support all of the group members – participants and fellow volunteers.
What does it involve?
- Building relationships, supporting and encouraging the whole team (you will not be matched up with one individual)
- Providing practical assistance and generally helping the course run smoothly
- This role would suit a sociable person who is flexible and helpful, a good listener, patient and sensitive
Support and training
- Full information about spinal cord injury, the course, and your role will be given both in writing and on the phone
- Support, guidance and feedback from the Courses Coordinator, group leaders and other experienced volunteers
“Thank you for giving me an experience that has changed my perspective on my own life and that of others who have a disability.”