Teach wheelchair skills
Wheelchair skills train-the-trainer weekend
Date: 16th - 19th April 2020
Application deadline: 1st Feb 2020
All our trainers have a spinal cord injury and the sessions cover everything from pushing technique and back-wheel balance to ascending and descending stairs. We run sessions for people using both manual and powered wheelchairs.
“Seeing the difference in the participants at the end of the session gives me a huge sense of achievement. It shows you what is still possible.” (David, wheelchair skills trainer)
If you have a spinal cord injury and want to help people improve their skills and confidence, why not join our team of experienced trainers?
What does it involve?
- Building confidence and independence by teaching wheelchair skills to people with a spinal cord injury
- Ensuring all participants are included, tailoring the training to individuals’ needs
- This role would suit a good communicator with experience of living with a spinal cord injury, who has good wheelchair skills appropriate to their level of injury
What we offer:
- The opportunity for you to become a qualified wheelchair skills trainer at an initial three day ‘train-the-trainer’ course
- Support, guidance and feedback from experienced trainers and outreach and support staff
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up
- The chance to be part of a team of 40 talented wheelchair skills trainers