Nurses and personal assistants on courses
Back Up provides a range of courses to help build confidence and independence, and enabling both volunteers and spinal cord injured participants to see how much is possible. Our courses provide the opportunity for people with a spinal cord injury to develop new skills, talk to people in a similar situation and challenge themselves in a safe environment.
Our volunteer nurses and PAs are there to enable spinal cord injured participants to feel well, comfortable, and fully able to participate in the course, as well as helping them to learn new skills which will make their life easier back at home.
What does it involve?
- Assisting with personal care needs of spinal cord injured participants and/or volunteers
- Supporting participants to develop their skills and independence
- Contributing to the positive experience of the group as a whole and participating in course activities
Support and training
- You will be paired to work with course participants based on your skills and experience and will receive full information about the course and the people you are matched to work with
- Support, guidance and feedback from group leaders, the Courses Manager and experienced nurses or PAs.
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up
“Back Up is by far the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I have dealt with medical emergencies, liaised with medical professionals and more importantly I’ve seen the person behind the injury which has changed the way I practise.”
This role would suit an experienced nurse or PA who is helpful, flexible, a good listener, patient, caring and can respect confidentiality. For more information and to see the specific care skills required, please download the role description below.