Become a mentor
Family mentor training weekend
Friday 15 Jun - Sunday 17 Jun
Spinal cord injured mentor training weekend
Friday 12 Oct - Sunday 14 Oct
If you have a spinal cord injury, or are a family member of someone with a spinal cord injury, why not volunteer as a Back Up mentor?
What does mentoring with Back Up involve?
- Providing up to ten sessions of telephone or face-to-face support
- Enabling people to work through their challenges using personal experience, problem-solving techniques and goal setting
- Having experience of spinal cord injury, being a good listener, compassionate, and non-judgmental
What support and training does a mentor receive?
- Initial training weekend and annual development day
- Support, guidance and feedback from mentoring staff, clinical psychologists and experienced mentors
- Development of skills and experience through Back Up’s accredited programme
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up.
For more information please read through our mentor role description, recruitment flowchart and FAQs below.
We need Back Up mentors of all ages, and from all parts of the UK. Please download the appropriate application form below and follow the instructions.
The next training weekend for family mentors, including partners, parents, siblings and children of people with a spinal cord injury will take place Friday 15 – Sunday 17 June 2018 in Coventry.
The next training weekend for people who have a spinal cord injury (including people with complete and incomplete injuries, and people able to walk) will take place Friday 12 – Sunday 14 October 2018, again in Coventry.
“Having benefited from Back Up, I wanted to give something back and help people come to terms with their new situation. The mentoring service was an obvious place to start and it is hugely satisfying, helping people when they need it most.”
Dave, 48, mentor with a spinal cord injury, T10 complete