“I have greatly enjoyed volunteering for Back Up and have developed my skills. I have met some wonderful and inspiring people.”
“It is an absolute privilege to act as a group leader and be trusted to support others”
Back Up run a programme of courses
to help build confidence and independence and enabling both volunteers and spinal cord injured participants to see how much is possible. For somebody that is adjusting to life after a devastating injury, our courses provide the opportunity to develop new skills and friendships that show life can be good after a spinal cord injury. Our volunteer group leaders are there to support and encourage all group members to learn and develop.
What does it involve?
- Representing Back Up; acting as a leader and role model for all group members
- Supporting, encouraging and organising group members to achieve their potential
- Being the first point of contact for group members before and throughout courses
- This role would suit people who have previous experience of Back Up courses and are approachable, fun, a good communicator and team player, organised and empathetic.
Support and training
- Initial weekend training course and annual development day
- Support, guidance and feedback from experienced Group Leaders and from the Courses Manager
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up
See the Group Leader Role Description
for more information.
Download an application form
The next induction training weekend for group leaders is taking place from Friday 4 - Sunday 6 March 2016. In order to work most effectively with a broad range of people and to be as representative as possible, we are keen to recruit group leaders with high level spinal cord injury, group leaders with SCI who are able to walk and non-spinal cord injured group leaders.
Please feel free to apply at anytime via the application form, or email Ally
or call on 020 8875 1805
if you have any questions.