“Teaching the skills gave me the confidence in my own abilities and showed me the impact I can have on others; so much so that I am now doing voluntary work teaching health professionals in Bangladesh.”
Back Up wheelchair skills training
sessions are delivered at all 11 of the spinal cord injury centres in the UK and on our residential courses. Sessions are led by spinal cord injured trainers and cover anything from pushing technique and back-wheel balance to ascending and descending stairs. We run sessions for people using both manual and powered wheelchairs.
What does it involve?
- Building confidence and independence by teaching wheelchair skills to people with spinal cord injury
- Ensuring all participants are included, tailoring the training to individuals' needs
- This role would suit a good communicator with experience of living with spinal cord injury, who has good wheelchair skills appropriate to their level of injury.
Support and training
- Initial 3 day ‘train the trainer’ course and annual meeting
- Support, guidance and feedback from experienced trainers and Outreach & Support staff
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up
Our next training weekend will be taking place in early 2017, if you are interested then please fill in an application form and send it in and we can contact you for the next round of recruitment.
See the Trainer Role Description for more information.
and send it in to firstname.lastname@example.org