Become a mentor
Family mentor training weekend
Friday 21 May - Sunday 23 May
Application deadline: 31st March 2021
Spinal cord injured mentor training weekend - FULL
Friday 29 Jan - Sunday 31 Jan
Location: Online via zoom
Application deadline: 15th December 2020
Spinal cord injured mentor training weekend
Friday 25 Jun - Sunday 27 Jun
Application deadline: 30th April 2021
We’re looking for mentors to provide vital support for people affected by spinal cord injury.
What does mentoring with Back Up involve?
- Providing up to ten sessions of telephone support
- Enabling people to work through their challenges using personal experience, problem-solving techniques and goal setting
- Having experience of spinal cord injury, being a good listener, compassionate, and non-judgmental
What support and training does a mentor receive?
- Initial training weekend and annual development day
- Access to regular virtual mentor drop in clinics supported by Back Up staff and mentoring supervisors
- Support, guidance and feedback from mentoring staff, clinical psychologists and experienced mentors
- Development of skills and experience through Back Up’s accredited programme
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up.
For more information please read through our mentor role description, recruitment flowchart and FAQs below.
“Having benefited from Back Up, I wanted to give something back and help people come to terms with their new situation. The mentoring service was an obvious place to start and it is hugely satisfying, helping people when they need it most.”
Dave, 48, mentor with a spinal cord injury, T10 complete
We need Back Up mentors of all ages, and from all parts of the UK. Please download the appropriate application form below and follow the instructions.
Want to become a mentor?
We’ve introduced an online application form for mentoring, which you can fill out by clicking the button below.Apply online