Become a mentor
Family mentor training weekend
Friday 15 May - Sunday 17 May
Spinal cord injured mentor training weekend
Friday 9 Oct - Sunday 11 Oct
We’re looking for mentors to provide vital support for people affected by spinal cord injury.
What does mentoring with Back Up involve?
- Providing up to ten sessions of telephone support
- Enabling people to work through their challenges using personal experience, problem-solving techniques and goal setting
- Having experience of spinal cord injury, being a good listener, compassionate, and non-judgmental
What support and training does a mentor receive?
- Initial training weekend and annual development day
- Support, guidance and feedback from mentoring staff, clinical psychologists and experienced mentors
- Development of skills and experience through Back Up’s accredited programme
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up.
For more information please read through our mentor role description, recruitment flowchart and FAQs below.
“Having benefited from Back Up, I wanted to give something back and help people come to terms with their new situation. The mentoring service was an obvious place to start and it is hugely satisfying, helping people when they need it most.”
Dave, 48, mentor with a spinal cord injury, T10 complete
We need Back Up mentors of all ages, and from all parts of the UK. Please download the appropriate application form below and follow the instructions.
Want to become a mentor?
We’ve not introduced an online application form for mentoring, which you can fill out by clicking the button below.Apply online