"If sharing something as difficult as what I’ve been through can help someone else, then it wasn’t all for nothing. The feeling I get from mentoring people is better than anything I have experienced with my day job."
"For me, mentoring was a really positive experience. It helped me make good progress after I came out of hospital and I found my mentor to be really supportive and encouraging. I can't speak more highly of the experience. ” Will - mentee
Do you have a complete or incomplete spinal cord injury or are able to walk? Are you a family member of someone with a spinal cord injury?
What does mentoring with Back Up involve?
The Back Up mentoring service, accredited by the Mentoring and Befriending Foundation, enables people who have been affected by spinal cord injury to receive support from others who have ‘been there' themselves. Trained volunteer mentors, who either have a spinal cord injury or are a parent, partner, sibling or child of someone with a spinal cord injury, support mentees to overcome their challenges and lead a fulfilling life.
- Providing up to ten sessions of confidential telephone or face to face support
- Enable mentees to work through their challenges using personal experience, problem solving techniques and goal setting
- Having experience of spinal cord injury, being a good listener, compassionate, and non-judgmental
What support and training does a mentor receive?
- Initial training weekend and annual development day
- Support, guidance and feedback from trained professionals and experienced mentors
- Development of skills and experience through Back Up’s accredited programme
- Agreed expenses covered by Back Up
Please click on the links below for more information:
Mentor Role Description
I have a spinal cord injury
- please click here to download the Spinal Cord Injured Mentor Application Form
I am a family member of someone with a spinal cord injury
- please click here to download the Family Mentor Application form
The next training weekend for people who have a spinal cord injury (complete, incomplete or able to walk), will take place 6th - 8th October 2017. If you would like to attend please fill out an application form, or for more information please contact Polly, details below.
The next training weekend for family mentors, including partners, parents, siblings and adult children
, will take place 23rd - 25th June 2017
. If you would like to attend please fill out an application form, or for more information please contact Polly, details below.
For any further information, or if you cannot open any documents on this page, please email Polly
or call 020 8875 1805
The Back Up mentoring service is accredited by the Mentoring and Befriending Foundation.