“Working with the participants was inspirational. Their enthusiasm & courage was phenomenal, it was fantastic to share in their achievements.”
“Thank you for giving me an experience that has changed my perspective on my own life and that of others who have a disability.”
Back Up run a programme of courses
to help build confidence and independence and enabling both volunteers and spinal cord injured participants to see how much is possible. For somebody that is adjusting to life after a devastating injury, our courses provide the opportunity to develop new skills and friendships that show life can be good after a spinal cord injury. Our buddies are there to assist, encourage, listen to and support all
of the group members - participants and fellow volunteers.
What does it involve?
- Building relationships, supporting and encouraging the whole team (you will not be matched up with one individual)
- Providing practical assistance and generally helping the course run smoothly
- This role would suit a sociable person who is flexible and helpful, a good listener, patient and sensitive
Support and training
- Full information about spinal cord injury, the course, and your role, both written and on the phone.
- Support, guidance and feedback from the Courses Administrator, Group Leaders and other experienced volunteers
See the Buddy role description
for more information.
or download an application form
For an informal chat about the role or for more information please email Merryn
or call her on 020 8875 1805.
“The group provided excellent support to each other. Everyone took something positive away from the course.”